The Babcock Center exists to make sure life with a disability does not mean life without every opportunity. We are a trusted resource, equal rights advocate and change-maker proudly serving the individuals, employers, and community of Columbia, S.C., and surrounding areas.
Since 1970, the Babcock Center has pioneered an inclusive and barrier-free community for
people with lifelong disabilities. To date, over 5,000 individuals have directly benefitted from employment opportunities, independent living and life skills, and enriched community connections. The Babcock Center is the largest provider of community services in South Carolina, operating seven vocational training centers in Richland and Lexington Counties and delivering support to over 65 residences.
We are a 501 c3 non-profit organization offering a wide range of services to support individuals, caretakers and family members. Our support includes:
- Vocational training and supported employment programs
- Adequate and affordable housing
- Safe, dependable transportation
- Access to public services and establishments — houses of worship, shopping, dining and
other recreational activities
- Opportunities to give back to the community through volunteering
We believe in promoting abilities and respecting choice by:
- Fostering natural connections and partnerships to develop personal interests and strengths.
- Establishing a reasonable balance between safety and the risks associated with new opportunities.
- Providing solutions for acquiring employment and earning a fair income, access to decent and affordable housing, and the need for safe, dependable transportation.
- Supporting access to the types of experiences available to all community members — public services, houses of worship, shopping, dining and other types of recreation.